​User Reviews – Amboseli NP

Elephants, elephants, elephants...

missbaxter   –
Visited: June 2015 Reviewed: Jul 11, 2015

50-65 years of age  |  Experience level: first safari

Amboseli National Park was amazing for wildlife, and my accommodations were perfect.

My group was able to see a lot of wildlife, including elephants and cheetahs. We stayed at Tortilis Camp. The accommodations were really nice, with great service and really good food. I highly recommend a visit to Amboseli and a stay at Tortilis.

nyotsz Visited: July 2015 Reviewed: Jul 11, 2015

At Amboseli National Park (Kenya) you are guaranteed to meet the African plains elephant

Between the dates of June 21st - 26th 2015, I was at Amboseli National Park in Kenya, a park that is four hours drive away from the capital city in Nairobi. Alternatively you have flights from Wilson airport in Nairobi. At the entrance of the park we were greeted with a heavy presence of a stern but friendly security agents.
The park, located on the slopes of Mt. Kilimanjaro the highest mountain in Africa (the highest free standing mountain on earth); boasts a high concentration of African plains elephants and a healthy population of spotted hyenas. I didn't get to see lions but felt their presence every night as they declared their dominance of the animal kingdom with roars that silenced all night sounds including the sounds of night insects.
The temperatures at the park varied from hot during the day to relatively cold at night. But I enjoyed my stay at Amboseli Serena lodge where they had extra beddings for those averse to cold nights like me. The food at my hotel was satisfactory and the breakfast superb.
The community surrounding the park are a friendly lot and add to the relaxed atmosphere. A downside to my stay at the park was that the game drives are a dusty affair and I should have carried a dust mask with me. Overall I give Amboseli a thumbs up for the elephant population.

Charles Lovely   –
Visited: January 2015 Reviewed: Jul 2, 2015

50-65 years of age  |  Experience level: over 5 safaris

Kilimanjaro as backdrop, elephants, and that you can stay at lodges within the park boundary.

Ellinor Johansson   –
Sweden SE
Visited: April 2015 Reviewed: Jul 1, 2015

Amboseli National Park offers a wide variety of scenic views and landscapes. Amboseli is close to Kilimanjaro and therefore especially offers nice views of the mountain, usually with animals in front. The roads are 'better' than in other parks, making it easier to drive on your own ('better' if you want to drive by your self, but worse if you want a genuine off-road experience, like in Buffalo Springs National Reserve).
When booking accommodation, make sure to do your research. We booked what a local travel agency said was a five star hotel (Serena) but it was far from! I would not recommend staying there unless three star with mainly an indian buffet is what you're seeking.
While at Amboseli, you should also go to the viewing point on top of a hill (ask at hotel where it is or if going on an arranged trip, the guide should know) for a 360 view of the park.

Clive Visited: May 2015 Reviewed: Jun 27, 2015

Watching Elephants roam across the plain with Kilimanjaro as a backdrop

We stayed at Sentrim Lodge just outside the gate to Amboseli. We done an evening tour on our first evening and a full day in the park the following day. The park may not be the biggest but it certainly has a lot going for it. We saw Herds of Elephant roaming, Hyenas in a den, Lion, Baboons with young, Ostrich, Hippos, Giraffe, Wilderbeast and many other animals roaming free. A must is a picnic on Observation hill where you can watch over a lot of the park. All of this with of Course Kilimanjaro as a backdrop that unveils itself for the evening sunset.

Max&Mary   –
Italy IT
Visited: April 2015 Reviewed: Jun 24, 2015

Email Max&Mary  |  35-50 years of age  |  Experience level: first safari

Elephant Haven and Kilimajaro the best !

This is a wonderful park for elephants and for wetland birdlife. The sunset views of Kilimanjaro and the elephants in the foreground are quintessential Africa

Tom Vohya Visited: April 2014 Reviewed: Apr 25, 2014

Amboseli is the place to go if you want to see elephants. We saw so many elephants and up very close. It was unbelievable. There were many baby elephants too, which were really cute. It was fun watching them playing in the mud and washing themselves. The road to Amboseli is fantastic - new tarmac road the whole way and completely free of traffic.

Ellen   –
Netherlands NL
Visited: July 2013 Reviewed: Oct 14, 2013

20-35 years of age  |  Experience level: first safari

The swamps are a nice different compare to the other parcs. Also enough hippo's to spot.Early in the morning you can see the Kilomanjaro. You can spot a lot of animals.

Lisa Lewis Koster   –
Visited: June 2012 Reviewed: Jul 30, 2012

35-50 years of age  |  Experience level: 2-5 safaris

Kili was elusive, but the elephants were abundant and the safari was spectacular!

We came to Amboseli to see Kilimanjaro, but unfortunately we only had one night there and it was cloudy. This seems to be a problem with many large mountains we've visited but never seen, so it's not an issue confined to this particular area. We were happy to catch a glimpse of the peak poking through the clouds, giving us some idea of its immense size. We saw a great deal of wildlife despite vehicles having to stay on the roads. Elephant lovers will especially like Amboseli since they were abundant in all sizes. Lions, ostrich, gazelles, monkeys, water buffalo and zebras were among the animals sighted. We were told that the giraffes were heading back to the park (it was June) and indeed we saw some just outside the park heading in that direction. There was a nice observation point where we were able to stretch our legs and had a great 360 degree view. Our driver from Crane Travel was fabulous, and the lodging at Serena was spectacular.

• 4.6/5