Honey badger (Mellivora capensis)
Hard-nut or head-case? Meet the honey badger. Either way, this stocky little member of the weasel family has a ferocious reputation that belies its modest size. Known for its tenacity and aggression, even big cats will think twice before taking one on.
5 Fascinating Facts
- Honey badgers measure just 60–70 in length, with a 20–30cm tail. They can drive a young lion from its kill and overcome a three-meter python.
- The word is that the honey badger enjoys a mutual relationship with a bird called the greater honeyguide. According to folklore, the bird leads the badger to ransack a bees’ nest and then feeds on any larvae left behind. But there is no proof of this... yet.
- A honey badger’s skin is too tough for most predators’ teeth or bee stings to penetrate. additionally, it is so loose that the animal can twist and turn when seized by an attacker – in order to retaliate and escape.
- Beekeepers persecute honey badgers because of their pesky habit of breaking into beehives. However, this problem is totally solvable – simply by raising the beehives a meter or so off the ground, on steel poles.
- Honey badgers are partially plantigrade. Like bears, they walk on their soles rather than the toes of their feet.
You may be wondering whether or not the honey badger is a danger to humans. Let's put it this way, we wouldn't advise you to get close enough to one and find out the hard way. It's always best to keep your distance. Observe from afar. Better safe than sorry – especially if you're camping. If you're planning to go on safari and have any questions about African wildlife and what you should or shouldn't do, please contact us at SafariBookings.
African Safari Tours
5-Day Tanzania Luxury Safari Tour
$4,366 pp (USD)
Tanzania: Private tourLuxuryLodge & Tented Camp
You Visit: Arusha (Start), Tarangire NP, Lake Manyara NP, Ngorongoro Crater, Serengeti NP, Arusha (End)
5.0/5 – 75 Reviews
4-Day Northern Parks Lodge Comfort
$1,605 pp (USD)
Tanzania: Private tour
Mid-rangeLodge & Tented Camp
You Visit: Arusha (Start), Tarangire NP, Serengeti NP, Ngorongoro Crater, Arusha (End)
Shemeji Safari Tanzania
4.7/5 – 224 Reviews
6-Day Luxury Safari Tarangire, Ngorongoro, Serengeti
$2,890 to $3,115 pp (USD)
Tanzania: Private tourLuxuryLodge & Hotel
You Visit: Arusha (Start), Tarangire NP, Serengeti NP, Ngorongoro Highlands, Ngorongoro Crater, Arusha (End)
Lion King Adventures
5.0/5 – 333 Reviews