Weather & Climate – Limpopo NP
Philip is a renowned Africa expert and author of many Bradt guidebooks to African destinations, including the guide to Mozambique.
Philip is a renowned Africa expert and author of the Bradt guidebook to Mozambique.
Philip is the author of the Bradt guidebook to Mozambique.
Climate Chart Limpopo National Park – 54-527m / 177-1,729ft
Winter and summer in Limpopo National Park (which correspond to the Dry and Wet season, respectively) are experienced at the opposite times of year as in Europe and North America. The wet summer months (October to April) are hot and humid. Dry winters (May to September) are warm and mild but cold at night. Bring warm clothing for early morning game drives.
Dry Season –May to September – Winter
There is almost no rainfall during winter and the humidity is low. Animals are drawn to permanent water sources as other sources of water become scarce in the bush.
- May – This is a transitional month and marks the end of summer. Temperatures are cooling down to typically 13°C/55°F in the morning and 29°C/84°F in the afternoon.
- June, July & August – Mornings will be cold, so don’t forget to pack warm clothing. The average morning temperature is 12°C/54°F. Afternoons are generally pleasant with temperatures around 26°C/79°F and cloudless skies.
- September – The heat gradually builds to about 29°C/88°F in the afternoon, and the first rains bring relief from very dry conditions. Mornings are warming up with temperatures around 16°C/61°F.
Wet Season –October to April – Summer
It is hot and humid in summer. Peak temperatures frequently reach well over 40°C/104°F, although average daytime temperatures are around 33°C/91°F. It rarely rains all day, but the pattern is afternoon storms.
- October & November – It gets hotter and hotter during these months and it starts to rain more often, mostly in the afternoon. Temperatures are between 18°C/64°F in the morning and 32°C/90°F in the afternoon.
- December, January & February – These are the wettest and hottest months, characterized by torrential downpours in the afternoon and high humidity. Afternoon temperatures are normally around 34°C/93°F but can soar to well over 40°C/104°F.
- March & April – Rainfall decreases and it slowly gets cooler. April has lovely, clear weather and few clouds. The nights get a bit colder but are still pleasant at about 17°C/63°F. Daytime temperatures are around 33°C/91°F and the humidity drops.