​User Reviews – Okavango Delta

lfostvedt   –
Visited: July 2011 Reviewed: Oct 2, 2011

20-35 years of age

The Water level was the highest in 50 years and we were not able to get deep into the delta.

I went to the delta in July 2011 and there is nothing more peaceful than a makoro ride through the delta (as long as you are not arachnophobic). I think I had too high of expectations for the safari after seeing the planet earth footage. It is important to remember that all of the planet earth footage is aerial footage and a Okavango Delta safari is a non-motor vehicle safari. Unfortunately for my trip, a pride of lions had come to the island we were camping at two weeks earlier, made a few kills, and scared most of the animals away. So don't be too surprised if you don't see much of the larger safari animals. It is really just luck of the draw. We did see some really interesting birds including a saddle-billed stork, a Hoopoe, and a Scimitar-billed wood-hoopoe.

That said, one of the most amazing parts of my trip in Africa was an flight over the delta. During the flight we saw all of the tracks in the delta where animals crossed from one island to another. We saw groups of elephants, giraffes, buffalo, tons of different types of antelope and many other wildlife which we didn't see while in the delta. The flight over the delta is an essential part of any trip to the Okavango Delta.

In conclusion, I definitely want to go back to the delta. I think there were many parts of my trip that were just the result of bad luck.

Jane Moran   –
Visited: January 2020 Reviewed: Feb 27, 2020

Email Jane Moran  |  50-65 years of age  |  Experience level: first safari

Knowing that there was little water in the Delta, we thoroughly enjoyed our experience and saw more than we anticipated

Karmen Reid   –
Visited: December 2019 Reviewed: Jan 12, 2020

Email Karmen Reid  |  65+ years of age  |  Experience level: first safari

The days were full of animal viewing. Excellent guides who found wonderful game for us to view.

Pippa   –
Tanzania TZ
Visited: September 2019 Reviewed: Nov 4, 2019

Email Pippa  |  35-50 years of age  |  Experience level: over 5 safaris

Stunning, not many people and lots of animals that aren't accustomed to people.

Tina   –
Visited: September 2019 Reviewed: Sep 23, 2019

Email Tina  |  20-35 years of age  |  Experience level: first safari

Birders’ paradise; did not camp here so can’t say much about Bush life

Daniel Seco   –
Spain ES
Visited: August 2019 Reviewed: Aug 24, 2019

Email Daniel Seco  |  35-50 years of age  |  Experience level: over 5 safaris

It is very good but if I am evaluating it right after Chobe I have to give 5 stars to Chobe and 4 to okavango.

Karen   –

Alex Bruce   –
Canada CA
Visited: June 2019 Reviewed: Jul 22, 2019

Email Alex Bruce  |  50-65 years of age  |  Experience level: first safari

A once in a lifetime trip that did not disappoint.

From the moment we arrived at Belmond Eagle Island Resort, we were made to feel like royalty. The entire staff greeted us at the entrance in song, followed by refreshments and tour. The accommodations redefine the term "glamping" with our beautifully appointed tent that included an outdoor shower (as well as an interior shower and soaker tub), a walk-in closet and infinity pool on our deck. The food was as expected, just wonderful.
We chose the month of June as it's the ideal time to see the wildlife due to the fact its the wet season. Unfortunately, it just happened that it was the driest June they've experienced in 10 years. That said, it did not hamper or affect our visit in any manner. While sitting on our deck in our first minutes of arriving, we watched elephants, hippos, antelope, eagles, warthogs etc....thinking, who needs to go on a drive when you're surrounded by all of this wildlife.
We were assigned a guide when we arrived. The daily routine was, your guide comes to your tent at 6:00am with coffee for your wake up call. Breakfast at 6:30 then meet at the jeep for 7:00 - 7:30. The morning drive goes until approx 11:00am, return for lunch and then 'siesta' time until 3:00 when you meet at the main lodge for "tea" then back to the jeep for 3:30 for your afternoon drive. The afternoon drive lasts until sundown which ends at a scenic spot at which the guide sets up a little bar so you can enjoy a cocktail while you watch the sunset.
Being winter at that time, the morning temperature can be quite cool (between 5-10 degrees celsius). While they advise you to wear layers, fleece lined ponchos were provided as well as blankets for the morning drive. By the end of the morning drive however the layers are peeled off at the temperature shot up to the mid 20's. I don't think we saw a cloud the whole time we were there.
As a professional photographer I was thrilled that we had drives that included the beautiful 'golden hour light'. I was also very happy that our driver had a good understanding of light for photography and would always position our vehicle for the best possible angle to take pictures.
I won't get into the actual wildlife we witnessed, only to say that we pretty much saw it all, including the Big 5 - Lion, Leopard, Rhino, Elephant and Cape Buffalo. Our guide was amazing in his ability to track the various animals along with his knowledge of the area and wildlife.
Being a private reserve, we rarely saw another vehicle which for me enhanced the experience. As a bonus, I treated myself to a helicopter ride over the area which was a highlight of the trip, to see and photograph the animals from a different perspective. I would highly recommend the Belmond Lodges for that 'once in a lifetime trip and experience'

schtain   –
South Korea KR
Visited: June 2017 Reviewed: Aug 7, 2018

Email schtain

A river which fails to meet the sea

The Okabango Delta, called the jewel of Kalahari in Africa, changes the shape of the waterway and plants grow to block it. Hippos living in lakes and swamps here can pass through the blocked waterways or expand their channels.

The swamps in the Okabang Lake grow very well, thanks to the rivers and the nutrients in them. As a natural environment, a large number of animals and birds gather here and breed in a swamp in the middle of a dry terrain. Large animals such as hippos and elephants are easy to see and have various birds.

Michael Mayer   –
Germany DE
Visited: December 2017 Reviewed: Feb 11, 2018

Email Michael Mayer

Great experience, especially the Mokoro trip. Don't worry too much about malaria!

Being a regular visitor to southern Africa including Namibia and South Africa, I've never been to the Okavango Delta bevor. We arrived in Gaborone via flight from Johannesburg and then took a car to Maun. Since the way is too long (expect min 2 days), we made a stop at the Kama Rhino Sanctuary (which I can also recommend). If you're only been to South Africa before, you'll notice that Botswana is different. It's much less densely populated and there are not many hotels and restaurants available along the way. Most of lodges are in the luxury segment and quite expensive, even for european standards. The road to Maun had many potholes, especially during the last kilometers. The A14 generally had less traffic and a better road quality than the A3. Alternatively, you can fly to Maun as well.

Maun is the gateway to many activities in the delta. Is has quite a lot of accommodations, restaurants, shops and an airport. Even if you can't afford a helicopter flight, you should book a Mokoro boat tour. It takes approximately 8 hours from 8 am until 4 pm. A guide will drive you through the delta while you can relax and enjoy the nature. It's worth every cent. If you come in December, expect the water levels to be low and some rain or clouds from time to time.

Don't worry too much about malaria. It is there but not too common (ask the locals). Take a good mosquito spray with you anyways and keep the doors/windows closed in the evening. We've rarely seen any mosquitos, so I think the health damage done by any medication outweighs the real risk, especially if you're only staying for a couple of days in the southern part of the delta.