User Reviews – Okavango Delta

Amazing scenery

Both from the water (kokomo) and from the air (helicopter) the Okavango is an amazing landscape. We weren't lucky with the weather during our bush camp but it was still a good experience to see the canals an islands.

Fantastic

A safari on foot in the Okavango Delta is an unforgettable experience.

On foot, spotting elephant. On a mokoro, looking at hyppos

I loved spending 2 nights in the Okavango delta, camping and navigating with the traditional mokoros. Tracking animals on foot and spotting them from the mokoros has been the highlight of the trip. The food (prepared on a campfire) and the local guides were excellent!

It was very wet while we were there, which sometimes made travel challenging, but even so, the safari vehicles navigated through the water over the sandy bottom. We didn't see quite as much wildlife here as in Chobe, probably because of the water levels, but had great looks at hippos and numerous birds.

Beautiful and exciting destination!

The Delta is a photographer's dream come true. The wildlife (elephants, hippos, crocodiles, etc) and birds are abundant and accessible. The guides were respectful of the wildlife and tried not to disturb them. All of our guides were knowledgeable about the local flora and fauna. The first part of November was an excellent time to visit. The crowds have died down and the rains haven't really started yet (although it was HOT). Our small group of 9 stayed on a houseboat. The food was good; the houseboat was in need of a good scrubbing, but it was easy to overlook its shortcomings with the beauty surrounding us. Elephants walking through the grass at sunrise while hippos swam by in the river. We spent hours in a small boat in the Delta, weaving in and out of the inlets, spotting birds. We saw crocodiles eating a buffalo! Sunsets were simply stunning.

The nature, the animals, - one of the best journeys of mine

On the road with the tent, but there was nothing missing. Very good kitchen. Good teamwork within the group, experienced guide, transport in open landrover, therefore good opportunities for taking pictures. The temperatures were very high, 44 degrees, very dry, but many animals at the water places. Landscape not very varied. Very few tourists. Highlights? For me the whole trip.

Botswana and the Okavango Delta

I spent one month in Botswana and from the moment we crossed the border from Namibia we were greeted with incredibly warm and friendly people and a whole host of amazing wildlife everywhere we looked! Its Africa so the weather was sunny and hot but not unbearable at all.

Our base camp was the Old Bridge Backpackers in Maun which is just on the edge of the Okavango delta and the Moremi Game reserve which made it easier to access the Okavango Delta. The backpackers backs directly on to the Thamalakene River and Hippos, Crocodiles, Elephants and amazing birds such as the Lilac-breasted Roller, Malachite Kingfisher and Fish Eagles were often seen. We stayed in a tent in the backpackers which opened directly onto a balcony overlooking the river with a group of Pied Kingfishers using our balcony rail as a perch to fish from which made for some excellent breakfast viewing!

The Old Bridge Backpackers was a perfect base camp with extremely friendly and knowledgeable staff who helped us to organise Safaris, scenic aeroplane rides, boat trips and other activities very easily and at competitive prices. This backpackers has to be up there for best location award! Plus the food was excellent!

The Okavango Delta was the main reason we took a trip up to Botswana and we were not disappointed! With cheap eco friendly safari operators who employ very knowledgeable and experienced guides to choose from you can be sure to have an amazing experience in the Okavango and in Botswana. We also took an scenic aeroplane ride over the Okavango before and during sunset which was an experience I shall never forget. You were able to see the beautiful delta as a whole and see the animals from a unique perspective and offered some incredible photographic opportunities. I am a keen bird watcher and for me I wanted the opportunity to get closer to the beautiful birds of Botswana, so I had to take a boat tour through the delta water ways. This was also an amazing experience which brought you face to face with hippos, crocodiles, herds of elephants and of course the all important birds!

Start to finish an amazing trip and I cant wait to go back!

Likely the best place for African Wildlife

We explored only the souther part of the Delta not too far from urban areas.
Still, it was very rewarding. Lot's of animals such as birds, elephants, hippos and crocs.
Lions were there too, approachable by boat.

The Okavango Delta is the most amazing experience

Staying in the Okavango Delta was the highlight of my trip to Bostswana. The amazing experience started with the trip to our camp site by mokoro (canoe) along rivers and channels which are home to elephants, hippos and a huge number of birds. The trip got better and better with a walking safari past giraffe, zebras etc., swimming in the delta, and stories and games with the local guides around the campfire. Sunset over the delta will stay in my memory for a very long time.

An opportunity to submerse yourself into the iconic natural world of Africa!

The biggest highlight for me was the isolation felt within the Okavango Delta. For the entire week we were there we didn't run into any other tourists/safari companies which I have previously noticed on safari tours elsewhere. This isolation made every encounter seem incredibly more special and private and enforced the feeling that we were guests into the animals world.