User Reviews – Okavango Delta

Excellent safari destination with sufficient tourism infrastructure

The Okavango Delta is a beautiful place and if you can go on a game walk you will feel transported to another world. However, I would not recommend going in March. We saw no game, but enjoyed a 3-hour hike among the grass looking at animal tracks and interesting bugs.

The highlight to our trip was 3 nights at Eagle Island Lodge (Belmond) on the Okavango Delta. This was a beautiful location with first class accommodation and service. In addition to the game drives we enjoyed a walking safari and trips out on the delta, both in powered boats and by mokoro.

Magic surroundings, unique scenery,

The Okavango Delta scenery is quite unique and as you have to fly a small plane to get to one of the lodges, you can realize it as soon as you board. It is very remote and with the water reflection the light is a wonder and you ear the bush noises so clearly day or night (you can ear hyenas grunting , lions roaring, bell frogs croaking etc.). For wildlife, scarce elephants and hippos are guaranteed. But you may not see cats if you don't book in a lodge offering game drives. Most of the lodges have boat activities and bush walks (a great experience indeed), but few have game drives. If you think you will be frustrated not to see lions, choose lodges with gale drives. If you can afford to stay in two places (one in the north, one in the south), it might be advisable as you'll probably see different things. Quality wise, the accommodation we booked was not a bargain. Lodges are very expensive and the service is not quite as good as we might expect for what we paid (I know, it is the bush but...) The thing is if you are used to other safari accommodations (I live in South Africa and have tried quite a few..) you can have real value for money (even if it is not as spectacular as the Okavango)...

Photography. Exceptional bird life and water life as well as wildlife. Scenery excellent. Would highly recommend

Best Assortment of animals in diverse settings; the big five, small five, ugly five and many birds

As a long time traveler, I was concerned that my trip to the Okavango Delta would be marred by excessive tourism or local ennui with visitors. I experienced neither! From seeing predators in action to almost co-habiting with wildlife, there were wonders to enjoy every day. I probably took over 5000 photos -- of rare and common birds, of extraordinary bugs, and predator/prey behaviors, there was never a time when I was not mesmerized. I stayed in AndBeyond Sandibe Okavango Lodge (probably the most elegant of all I have stayed in) where customer service is phenomenal, and, most importantly the guides and trackers were amazing. Also stayed at Nxabega Okavango Tented Camp where the guides tailor made the safaris to our liking. Time on the water was magical. Locals are delightful. If I could, I would go back to Botswana every single year, as there is still so much more to see. AndBeyond, while not cheap, was worth every single dollar spent.

The Okavango Delta is a place you must visit while in botswana. l really recommend the mokoros to go in the delta, the guides are really competent and the scenery magical.

so many game and not soooo much tourist and for me a new experience to make a safari by feet. It is a big difference to all other safaris
Great nature

The Okavango is a beautiful place, and there's nothing like a boat ride through all the twisting waterways where crocodiles lurk and elephants munch the fibrous stalks on shore. I think the high season (July-August) is probably not the best time for birders to visit here -- I imagine there's more bird life during the migratory seasons.

Awesome destination and one of the last paradises left on this crowded plant!

I visited the Okavango Delta on many occasions over a 10-years period between 2000 and 2010. The wildlife is simply awesome and the scenery breathtaking and adventurous. Where on earth may you still be an integral part of nature and wildlife if not in a place such as the Okavango Delta? I mainly did camp at public campsites, where wildlife including elephants and lions were regular and wild dogs occasional visitors. Once in a while, I also enjoyed tented camps, which is luxury pure! What you need is a good 4x4 vehicle, ideally including a winch and a snorkel, and definitely some reliable GPS and a good GPS map, e.g. Tracks 4 Africa, including pre-determined waypoints and routes. If you’ve got the chance to visit Botswana and the Okavango Delta then just go for it. You won’t regret!