User Reviews – Okavango Delta

The Okavango is a beautiful place, and there's nothing like a boat ride through all the twisting waterways where crocodiles lurk and elephants munch the fibrous stalks on shore. I think the high season (July-August) is probably not the best time for birders to visit here -- I imagine there's more bird life during the migratory seasons.

Awesome destination and one of the last paradises left on this crowded plant!

I visited the Okavango Delta on many occasions over a 10-years period between 2000 and 2010. The wildlife is simply awesome and the scenery breathtaking and adventurous. Where on earth may you still be an integral part of nature and wildlife if not in a place such as the Okavango Delta? I mainly did camp at public campsites, where wildlife including elephants and lions were regular and wild dogs occasional visitors. Once in a while, I also enjoyed tented camps, which is luxury pure! What you need is a good 4x4 vehicle, ideally including a winch and a snorkel, and definitely some reliable GPS and a good GPS map, e.g. Tracks 4 Africa, including pre-determined waypoints and routes. If you’ve got the chance to visit Botswana and the Okavango Delta then just go for it. You won’t regret!

An Authentic Trip Through the African Bush

This trip was the highlight of my month of traveling through Africa. We were taken up the delta on traditional mokoro boats, and set up to camp in the middle of the wilderness. Our guides (members of the local village) took great care of us, and took us on multiple safari walks. these walks allowed us to see the animals up close and in their natural, undisturbed habitat. With such little alterations to the landscape, the Okavango Delta is truly a magical place. 100% would go back, and would definitely recommend it to a friend!

My Kiss for you

It is a very beautiful place by the unique nature and should be stored with passion.

This is really Paradise!

I guess I don't normally go in for writing reviews... but circumstances gave me the chance to visit the Okavango Delta recently... and boy, ... awesome..!!

This is picture postcard stuff... teaming with wildlife in private concessions where you wont see anyone for days.

Just go to the Okavango Delta once in your life.... its expensive but better than East Africa.

Great scenic Flights over the Okavango Delta, Maun, Botswana.

The wildlife is in abundance below,as you fly over the delta at 3600 feet above sea level,which is only actually 500 feet above the ground,due the the height of the Okavango,The Delta does not flow into any river or ocean,but simply evaporates when it hits the barren Kalahari desert nearby.There are many operators of small aircraft,that will arrange a sightseeing flight above the Delta,and most of their business comes from flying guests that arrive at Maun International airport,to the many bush and game lodges with an hour flying from Maun,where Elephants,giraffes and Water buffalo alongside many spieces of bird life others,will come right up to your game lodge.Small boats also cruise though the delta,but its from the air you see the Delta at its best, Game lodge tends to be at the higher end of the market but are worth that once in a life time experience!Highlights will be seeing elephants drinking water right from your lodge,and the changing weather,which can produce massive lighting storms within minutes,it all adds up to a unforgettable adventure in Africa.

Peaceful and thrilling in equal measure

The wildlife varies greatly between concessions - bearing in mind we travelled in low season when the water levels were extremely low. In the Abu concession we caught sight of plenty of leopard and wild dog, while the Jao concession proved more successful for water activities, including boating and mokoros. Scenery was varied throughout, from dense reeds to open savannah. Accommodation standards were very high, as was the food and guiding. Transportation less so - we were forced to fly between concessions which added unnecessary travel time. Guiding on the other hand was exceptional.

One day and night in the Okavango Delta.

As part of a southern Africa tour, we spent one day and night in the Okavango Delta.
In the early morning they took us to a local village. From there we were transported by mokoro to a nice camping place where we would spend the night. After lunch and a swim, we went on a walk on one of the delta's many islands. We only saw some wildlife from far away, but on the way back a Hippo showed itself while we were in the mokoro's. Afterwards at camp we had dinner and spent hours watching the stars.

A birder's paradise

An experience of a lifetime

Oh where to start - abundant wildlife, the most variety of birds that we've ever seen,... The lodges and huts that I stayed at were comfortable and the food served was delicious. The staff were absolutely amazing, friendly and accommodating. Last but not least, the tour guides were welcoming, knowledgeable and ensured our safety throughout the trip.

My trip to the Okavango Delta, Botswana was the best trip I've ever been on, it was an experience of a lifetime.