Weather & Climate – Pilanesberg GR
Pilanesberg is located within an area of summer rainfall, which is characterized by afternoon thunderstorms. Winter (May to September) is the Dry season and has moderate daily temperatures and cool nights. Warm winter clothing is recommended for night and early morning game drives. The park is located within the southern hemisphere and so experiences summer and winter at opposite times to Europe and North America.
Climate Chart Pilanesberg Game Reserve – 1,020-1,608m / 3,346-5,276ft
© chart & park data: SafariBookings. © climate grid data: WorldClim project. All rights reserved.
Dry season –May to September – Winter
There is virtually no rainfall during winter, and thus, the humidity is very low. These drought-like conditions cause foliage to thin and animals are drawn to permanent water sources, making them easier to see.
- May – Temperatures gradually drop, marking the beginning of winter. Average temperatures vary from 7°C/45°F in the mornings to 23°C/73°F in the afternoons.
- June, July & August – Warm clothes are essential for the cold mornings (4°C/40°F on average). Skies will be sunny and clear with daytime temperatures averaging 22°C/72°F.
- September – Average temperatures are a mild and pleasant 27°C/81°F during the day with cooler mornings (10°C/50°F).
Wet season –October to April – Summer
Regular rains break up the heat. They usually come in the form of afternoon storms, but sometimes it just drizzles for a longer period. Average daytime temperatures are around 29°C/84°F. Because of the low humidity, the heat is less of a burden when compared to the coastal regions.
- October & November – It gets warmer, and the first rains clear the haze in the sky. It rains more as the season progresses. Temperatures range from a typical 15°C/59°F in the morning to 29°C/84°F in the afternoon.
- December, January & February – December and January are the wettest months, characterized by torrential downpours in the afternoon. Daytime temperatures are typically around 30°C/86°F.
- March & April – Rainfall will decrease, and it slowly gets colder. This continues in April, which has lovely, clear weather and few clouds. The nights get a bit colder at about 13°C/55°F. Daytime temperatures are pleasant, around 27°C/81°F.