Pilanesberg Game Reserve- Overview Pilanesberg Safaris
About Pilanesberg Game Reserve
Pilanesberg has a lovely setting, plenty of wildlife and is in a convenient location for visitors coming through Johannesburg or Pretoria. Set in an ancient volcanic crater, Pilanesberg is a very scenic Big Five destination. The fully fenced park is well stocked, but might lack wilderness appeal to purists. Only a two-hour drive from Johannesburg, it makes a very attractive weekend option.
- Good wildlife viewing with all of the Big Five
- Beautiful scenery in a volcanic crater
- Lots of accommodation options for different budgets including self-catering
- Very close to Johannesburg and Pretoria
- Next to Sun City casino and entertainment park
- Big cat sightings are hit-and-miss
- Fully fenced and totally stocked, lacking wilderness appeal
Pilanesberg is home to the Big Five and offers quite good wildlife viewing. Elephant is abundant and sightings of buffalo and white rhino are common. All big cats are present, but you will need some luck to spot any. Aside from the Big Five, you can expect to see giraffe, zebra, wildebeest and many antelope species.
More about Pilanesberg's wildlife
Pilanesberg has extreme natural beauty and is set in the crater of an extinct volcano. The structure of the park is unique. Three concentric ridges of hills, which were formed by eruptions 1,300 million years ago, fringe the area. The park lies in the transition zone between the dry kalahari and wetter bushveld, which results in unique overlaps of mammals and birds associated with both vegetation zones.Want to visit Pilanesberg?