Selous Game Reserve- Overview Selous Safaris
About Selous Game Reserve
Selous Game Reserve is one of Africa's largest parks, but most of it has been set aside for hunting. The game viewing area open to the public is relatively small, but very rewarding with many predator sightings and excellent boat safaris on the Rufiji River.
- Top wildlife viewing in the Dry season
- Guided walks and boat safaris available
- Lions are easily found at the lake shores
- One of the best places in East Africa to encounter wild dogs
- Excellent mid-range and luxury lodges and no large-scale accommodations
- Hunting concessions make animals skittish and more difficult to watch
- The wildlife viewing circuit is relatively small
- Animals are scattered during the Wet season and most lodges are closed from March to May
The Rufiji River is teeming with hippos and crocodiles and the birdlife is fantastic. Lion sightings are very common as the opportunistic creatures tend to laze around the lakes waiting for animals coming to drink. One of the main attractions of the park is its large population of wild dogs.
More about Selous GR's wildlife
The part of Selous, north of the Rufiji River, open to the public, is particularly scenic. The main wildlife viewing circuit follows a string of 5 lakes connected to each other and the Rufiji River by small streams. The Rufiji is one of Africa's great rivers with palm fringed channels and swampy islets.Want to visit Selous?
Safari Reviews- Selous
I think this has been my favorite park so far. Hellish drive on a loooong, bumpy dirt road in order to get there, but the place is remote and there are few visitors. One can see a very wide variety of wildlife, including birds.
All 45 user reviews