​User Reviews – Botswana

A.Meyer   –
Visited: May 2007 Reviewed: Aug 30, 2011

20-35 years of age

The highlight for wildlife in southern Africa

Botswana has an amazing amount of wildlife. From the Okovango Delta to the Chobe River, and the savannahs in between, I have never been so astounded! There were so many amazing experiences on the trip - from being charged by an elephant to seeing lions on my birthday, it really was a trip of a lifetime, we even had a juvenile leopard come into our camp one night! The country is safe, the people are friendly, and the weather was perfect - cool nights and warm days. Bring your camera because you can't take a bad photo there! I loved the trip and can't wait to get back over!

Marco   –
Italy IT
Visited: August 2011 Reviewed: Aug 21, 2011

Email Marco  |  20-35 years of age

If you like safaris, Botswana is the place for you. Kilometers and kilometers of untouched land, where the big animals roam free. Moreover, Botswana has a good economical and political status, so it is a very safe destination for your safari.

Patricia   –
Visited: March 2011 Reviewed: Aug 17, 2011

50-65 years of age

It's a beautiful place with great scenery, animals, and birds.

Linda Hoernke   –
Visited: April 2007 Reviewed: Jul 29, 2011

Email Linda Hoernke  |  50-65 years of age

Botswana "is" Africa!

TjibbeD   –
Netherlands NL
Visited: August 2009 Reviewed: Jul 28, 2011

Email TjibbeD  |  20-35 years of age

Botswana has some very beautiful areas, such as Makgadikgadi, Chobe, Moremi and Okavango Delta, with loads of wildlife. However, it's close proximity to South Africa makes it a busy place. Many campsites in National Parks need to be booked more than a year in advance. This pre-arrangement doesn't give the country a real 'bush-vibe', although some gems, such as Makgadikgadi still feel very much like the real deal.

Shahar Bar   –
Israel IL
Visited: April 2011 Reviewed: Jul 25, 2011

Email Shahar Bar  |  under20 years of age

Botswana is giving freedom to the wildlife animals and have a wide variety of animals.

John   –
Germany DE
Visited: June 2011 Reviewed: Jul 15, 2011

20-35 years of age

Very pristine, untouched wilderness, yet 5 star service and offering in Wilderness camps.

Bruceontour   –
New Zealand NZ
Visited: July 2009 Reviewed: Jul 6, 2011

50-65 years of age

Being "poled along" like a gondola, the thousands of stars & evening constant animal noises (frogs).

After a month travelling overland with Acacia Africa from Nairobi on route to Capetown, we hit Botswana. I was expecting more animals as the travellers we met heading north who had just left here had reported plenty to see. But alas not for us. But this is Africa (TIA). It is not a zoo as we humans are privileged to be in the animals natural habit. While a disappointment, I will remember Botswana for:

- lying in and being poled along in a mokoro, a dug out canoe. Listening to the bird and insect life with the reeds being brushed aside. Thank goodness we had a modern fiberglass mokoro as the wooden ones made out of single sausage tree that takes 80 years to grow, but only last 5 - 6 years leak! We had to take everything in and then take out again everything including all of our rubbish. The sky was blue, few clouds and the sun was rising. It was a simply a magic feeling moving along at a gentle pace. So different to the truck travel.

- On the bush walks saw more homo sapiens from other overland groups moving across the open plain than the few animals - zebras, buffaloes plus bird life.

- The evening will be remembered for the brilliant display of stars with a little light spillage plus hearing the hundreds of frogs croaking away ...

- To cap off our visit, the flight over just a small part of the 16,000 sq km Okavango Delta where the 360 degree vista from above rewarded me with my pictures of "textures and colours". We saw elephants and wildebeests from above. It was well worth the US$60 cost. To cap it off, as we left on the last flight, it was sunset as we headed back to Maun airport.

So ... yes, I was a bit disappointed with both Chobe National Park and Okavango Delta re seeing animals living in their natural environment, but I still have many wonderful memories to take away with me: being "poled along" like a gondola - the thousands of stars and evening animal noises.

Read and see my Botswana photoblog at:

Di G. Visited: December 2010 Reviewed: Jun 27, 2011

Although we found Botswana beautiful, it did not have the typical majestic beauty many people assume is present throught Africa. There were no giant mountains or lakes, just simple unadulterated lovely wilderness.

bianca   –
South Africa ZA
Visited: October 2010 Reviewed: Jun 26, 2011

Email bianca  |  35-50 years of age

In my oppinion Botswana offers some of the best wildlife viewing and birdwatching in Africa, combined with friendly people, knowledgable guides and comfortable accommodation in various price classes.