Expert Reviews – Etosha NP

Sort By: Most helpful 1-2 of 2 Reviews
Etosha, best visited in the dry winter months

As a photographer, I’ve often looked longingly at the numerous excellent wildlife images taken in Etosha National Park. In many cases you don’t even have to read the caption; Etosha pictures tend to be quite distinctive. The white bleached calcite soil is a good give away and I guess there are few places where such numbers and variety of animals can be seen at any time at a waterhole.

I went to Etosha in the middle of the rainy season and I didn’t get to see any of that. As can be expected, wildlife was very dispersed and the grass was long. Sitting at waterholes, which would normally be the way to work Etosha National Park, proofed to be a waste of time. I still had some good sightings: the very active jackals were a pleasure to watch and the birding was great with black korhaans showing off their mating displays. The very localized black-faced impala and Damara dik-dik were all over the place. My highlight was a black-rhino, which allowed me to watch her without running towards or away from me, as most black rhino tend to do. I guess, another place I need to get back to sometime.

Sandy plains and starry skies

Four of the Big Five inhabit Namibia's premier National Park (no buffalo), along with hyena, cheetah, bat-eared fox and honey badger, among others. Antelope can be spotted from afar on the sparsely vegetated, flat 'sandscape' whose dusty roads stretch far into the distance. In this arid park, animals congregate around the many waterholes, a great place to set up your camera and picnic for an afternoon. Some waterholes are easily accessible from camps and watching for animals at a floodlit pool after dark was a park highlight, even if we didn't really see much. Instead, we turned our eyes skywards and enjoyed a safari of the celestial kind.

Average Expert Rating