Hwange National Park

1 star
Sort by: 1-10 of 38 reviews
By Gini from United KingdomGB
Visited: August 2017  -  Reviewed: 10 Sep 2017

So much wild life and wonderful birds

By BrianIron from United KingdomGB
| 50-65 years of age | Experience level: over 5 safaris
Visited: November 2016  -  Reviewed: 26 Apr 2017

A real wildlife experience

Hwange is a superb destination to experience a real wildlife adventure. The guiding is of an exceptional standard, the best I have experienced on a number of trips to Africa including Namibia, South Africa and Tanzania. The use of concessions allows for walking safaris which add another very enjoyable element to the experience.
I visited during November which is a season of change in Hwange, we only had one day when it rained in the 8 nights we spent in the park. 2016 was the second year of drought in southern Africa and the landscape and scenery were affected by it and clearly animals had suffered. However we saw excellent wildlife and were lucky enough to see a Leopard at the waterhole at one camp one evening.
The camps are all of a good standard with good food and service. None of the camps we stayed in were fenced so perhaps not for the nervous or first time safari.
Roads are rough so be prepared to be bounced about a bit.
Overall an unmissable destination if wildlife is your thing.... more

Link to this review 2 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes | No

By Andyb423834 from United StatesUS
| 20-35 years of age | Experience level: first safari
Rating
Visited: October 2016  -  Reviewed: 13 Feb 2017

Couldn't have been more amazing

Spent two nights at Elephants Eye lodge and had an amazing full day game drive through Hwange National Park. We saw so many animals and had such a great day. Would go back in a heartbeat!

By Kamal Krishna Laha from AustraliaAU
Visited: June 2002  -  Reviewed: 12 Jan 2017

HNP is one of the best compare with others in Zambia and Zimbabwe

I did electrification of Hwange NP as Chief Electrical Engineer visited many times with wife & twin sons from May 93 to Jul 89

By Owen from KenyaKE
| 50-65 years of age | Experience level: over 5 safaris
Visited: September 2016  -  Reviewed: 16 Nov 2016

I feel that Hwange National park is outstanding destination. I saw so much wildlife,and felt that there was an outstanding bush vibe.I will return.

By CharlesGangas Photography from United StatesUS
| 50-65 years of age | Experience level: 2-5 safaris
Visited: March 2016  -  Reviewed: 28 Mar 2016

Thrilling Odyssey

Hwange National Park offered wonderful opportunities to view and photograph amazing wildlife. We found eight large mammal, three of the Big Five, in just our first morning game drive. As an avian photographer on my first trip to Zimbabwe I was thrilled at the species I saw and recorded, which included Bateleur, African Fish, Wahlberg's, and Tawny Eagles. We found several species of Hornbill, and of course numerous Lilac-breasted Rollers and Southern Carmine Bee Eaters. We saw elephants, hippos, zebras, antelope, lions, and a cheetah.

Our stay at The Hide was comfortably luxurious, with excellent food and service and great views of visiting wildlife to the watering holes. The game drives were thrilling each morning and afternoon, and I was delighted with the knowledge and expertise of our safari guide, Daffy. We're planning of a return visit in the very near future.

Link to this review 2 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes | No

By Rich from United StatesUS
Visited: February 2015  -  Reviewed: 24 Jan 2016

Great times with great guides

We saw a variety of wildlife, had incredible weather and phenomenal food at The Hide. Our guides were very knowledgeable and found some of the best wildlife during our safari. We saw lions, wild dogs, a cheetah hunt, impala, zebra and so many other animals. I cannot wait to go back.

By deasibeau from AustraliaAU
| 65 years of age or older | Experience level: 2-5 safaris
Visited: August 2015  -  Reviewed: 11 Dec 2015

Hwange is definitely a good place to visit. Thouroughly enjoyed our stay.

We stayed at Little Makalolo camp. Our guide, Mike was excellent and the staff at Little Mak were terrific. We had a great time there. The camp is near a waterhole where there is a hide and we had some wonderful experiences viewing elephant and buffalo very close. What great photo opportunities that was. The food was good, accommodation excellent. One of the highlights was viewing lions being chased by elephant. We also saw a herd of Sable - not always easy to find. Definitely recommend Little Makalolo and Hwange National Park.

By Jean. from United StatesUS
Visited: September 2015  -  Reviewed: 23 Nov 2015

Most of the game was at the watring holes.

We did not see as much game driving around as we saw in other parks. possibly because Zimbabwe allows hunting. However, at the watering holes there was a large concentration of animals and birds. There were some rock outcroppings that added variety to the scenery, which for the most part was dry and flat. The accommodations were especially nice at Kashawe Camp, probably the best out of the four camps we visited. The food was very good, and we had nice sunny weather with cool nights. Our guides were excellent, very friendly and very knowledgeable. The people at the camp and the guides certainly make a visit to this camp a valuable experience..

Link to this review 1 person found this review helpful. Did you? Yes | No

By theresa mwewa camilla besa from ZambiaZM
Visited: November 2015  -  Reviewed: 20 Nov 2015

excellent national park. I wish I could stay much longer

Awesome scenery plc to be at . This Place I love. Xx

SafariBookings Expert Panel

Our panel of 22 experts wrote a total of 969 reviews about the countries and parks we cover.