User Reviews – Hwange NP

A little-known pearl in the heart of Africa

Perhaps Zimbabwe is one of those places in Africa where mass tourism has passed by in recent years due to socio-political reasons. May be it is also that same reason that turns a safari into this wonderful national park into a unique experience. Tranquility, little influx of visitors and an enormous diversity of fauna make this place an essential scene to enjoy any nature trip.

Located in an enclave punished by the history of the last two centuries, this park summarizes, in its entirety, the best of a safari in Africa: diverse landscapes, a high density of wild fauna and the recovery of endangered species - the African Wild Dog or Lycaon- make Hwange one of the best national parks in Africa.

With a bit of luck, especially at dawn, it is not difficult to find a herd of lycaons in full activity. A true experience to discover the group behavior of these fantastic animals: synchronized movements, strategic deployment, restless tracking to the search for food, and constant and jumping nerve. I had not had the luck to meet them in other African parks before and their picture was wonderful.

The great guides of "Ivory Lodge", located right on the edge of the park, gave us the possibility of going out to meet other equally interesting species. Also early in the morning, a herd of 18 lions on the side of a pond, delighted us with a good selection of playgrounds.

Among all the scenes of wildlife, I will highlight one of the most impressive I have lived in Africa. The displacement, at dusk, of a herd of hundreds of buffaloes through the dry basin of a river. Slowness accompanied by strength, serenity, sliding across the earth like a giant raft in the middle of a calm ocean.

A little-known pearl in the heart of Africa.

Absolutely one of the best National Parks in Africa

I just made my second trip to Hwange National Park in June. It was just superb again. I stayed at Little Makalolo Camp and Camp Hwange each for four nights. The wildlife viewing was just phenomenal. I saw everything from elephants to wild dogs,lions and cheetahs. I also saw plenty of roan and sable antelope.

Zimbabwe is famous for having the highest standards of guiding in Africa. I have to say that all my guides at both Little Makalolo and Camp Hwange were just superb. I also felt that both the camps I stayed at were terrific in every way.

We saw all the animals we could expect to see including wild dogs on a hunt, lions, cheeta, leopard, lots of elephants, giraffs, kudus, stein bok, duikers, hippos, crocodiles and many more.

Hwange NP is very interesting and offers different landscapes. The wildlife was, due to the wheather, reduced (in comparison with Chobe NP e.g.), but we saw, that a lot of animals live there!

The camp site was terrific, near the lake, during the night we heard the hippos walking around, really beautiful!

[see my main review]

cool

nice yo

Abundant wildlife, professional guides. Fantastic camps.

So much wild life and wonderful birds

A real wildlife experience

Hwange is a superb destination to experience a real wildlife adventure. The guiding is of an exceptional standard, the best I have experienced on a number of trips to Africa including Namibia, South Africa and Tanzania. The use of concessions allows for walking safaris which add another very enjoyable element to the experience.
I visited during November which is a season of change in Hwange, we only had one day when it rained in the 8 nights we spent in the park. 2016 was the second year of drought in southern Africa and the landscape and scenery were affected by it and clearly animals had suffered. However we saw excellent wildlife and were lucky enough to see a Leopard at the waterhole at one camp one evening.
The camps are all of a good standard with good food and service. None of the camps we stayed in were fenced so perhaps not for the nervous or first time safari.
Roads are rough so be prepared to be bounced about a bit.
Overall an unmissable destination if wildlife is your thing.

Couldn't have been more amazing

Spent two nights at Elephants Eye lodge and had an amazing full day game drive through Hwange National Park. We saw so many animals and had such a great day. Would go back in a heartbeat!

• 4.7/5