Weather & Climate – Mozambique
Climate Chart Inhambane – 8m / 26ft
The climate in most of Mozambique is tropical and warm with a dry, cooler season from May until October and a wet, hot season from November until April. Mozambique is a country with a long coastline from south to north. The north of the country is much closer to the equator than the south. In the south of the country, the Dry season corresponds with winter (at the opposite time of winter in Europe and North America). Closer to the equator, the difference in temperatures throughout the year is less pronounced, so the terms ‘winter’ and ‘summer’ aren’t used. The dry and relatively cool winter months between May and October offer the most comfortable and easy travel conditions. Roads in Mozambique are not very good and in the Wet season many roads deteriorate and a 4x4 is essential. The south of the country has regularly been subject to flooding during the Wet season.
Inhambane’s Climate Compared to Mozambique’s Parks
Inhambane is a coastal town located in the south of Mozambique. Its warm sub-tropical climate is representative of most of the parks in the country. Like Inhambane, the coastal parks have some rain throughout the year, although much more in the Wet season, from November to April. Parks in the interior, such as Niassa and Limpopo, tend to be totally dry during the Dry season, from May to October. It is hotter and more humid on the north coast of the country than in the south. Rainfall in Gorongosa NP is higher than in Inhambane.
Dry Season –May to October – Winter
There is little rainfall during the entire Dry season and humidity is low. Wildlife will congregate around waterholes and other permanent water sources.
- May – This is the end of summer. Temperatures are relatively cool, typically 18°C/64°F in the morning and 27°C/81°F in the afternoon. The nighttime temperatures start to drop. There is little rainfall.
- June, July & August – The average morning temperature is 16°C/61°F. Bring warm clothing for the cold morning game drives in open vehicles. Afternoons will be pleasant, with temperatures around 25°C/77°F.
- September & October – It starts to get warmer. The first rains will bring relief in the interior. Daytime temperatures will be around 28°C/82°F in October.
Dry Season Photos
Wet Season –November to April – Summer
Travel conditions are harder at this time of the year with torrential rains. A 4x4 is a must as road conditions can deteriorate dramatically.
- November – This month is unpredictable; it usually starts raining some afternoons. Temperatures are between 21°C/70°F in the morning and 29°C/84°F in the afternoon.
- December, January, February & March – These are the wettest months, characterized by torrential downpours in the afternoon. Temperatures are around 30°C/86°F and the humidity is high.
- April – The rains are dwindling and temperatures are dropping as well. Evenings are becoming slightly chilly.