Reviews

John   –
Visited: October 2020 Reviewed: Nov 3, 2020

Email John  |  35-50 years of age  |  Experience level: first safari

11 Day Budget Safari in Kenya and Tanzania

I had a great time on my safari. It lived up to all of my expectations, and I was able to see all of the Big Five! From the beginning, Dennis was extremely attentive and responded to my emails sometimes within minutes. The price offered was a great value and far better than the other operators. I felt like I was in great hands with Dennis and Baboon Budget Safaris and would happily recommend them to anyone looking to book a safari.

The combined safari is actually two separate safaris, each with a different driver/guide. In between, you’ll take a shuttle from Kenya to Tanzania.

The driver/guide for Kenya was Patrick and for Tanzania was Ali. Both were experienced, professional, patient, and charming. They know how to find the animals and help you get the best experience.

The accommodations and food for the budget safari were better then I expected. I slept well most nights and we always ate decently. They were a bit better on the Tanzania side compared to in Kenya.

A few things to be aware of are:

A lot of time unavoidably gets spent on driving from one place to the other, so don’t expect to see animals all day every day. There’s a lot of distance to cover and that means a lot of driving.

Crossing the border into Tanzania was my least favorite part. Upon arrival I was told I needed $50 USD cash for the visa, as well as a yellow fever certificate, and a printed COVID certificate. I was not prepared for that, so getting the cash and printing the certificate was a huge hassle. An agent from the shuttle bus company will be there to assist you, but his English wasn’t great and I had no means of calling Dennis in case I needed help. There is some room for improvement here, but anyway, eventually I made it across and the rest of the trip was fantastic.

Book with confidence with Dennis and Baboon Budget Safaris!

Federica   –
Italy IT
Visited: January 2021 Reviewed: Jan 20, 2021

Email Federica  |  20-35 years of age  |  Experience level: first safari

Esperienza Magica!

Perfect experience from start to finish! Ever since I contacted Baboonbudget by email to ask (a thousand) questions, they have been helpful and quick to respond and have been able to offer me an experience tailored to my requests. Marvin, my guide for the 4 days, is not only competent and will answer all your questions about the parks, but he is excellent company, and will also answer your questions about Kenya: an interesting person, helpful and kind.
The parks then, what can I say ... magical!

munike   –
Brazil BR
Visited: October 2015 Reviewed: Nov 1, 2015

Email munike  |  20-35 years of age  |  Experience level: first safari

Amazing!

The stuff is very professional. The Safari is amazing, truly recommend it!!

UlnaSP   –
Visited: July 2016 Reviewed: Aug 16, 2016

Email UlnaSP  |  35-50 years of age  |  Experience level: over 5 safaris

Professionalism with personal touches: Kudos Baboon Safaris

I would highly recommend Baboon Safaris to anyone who is looking for a great safari experience within modest budget. The savings does not mean one needing to compromise on the safari experience though. While safari experience often depends on ones luck, being in the right neighborhood at the right time depends on guides' experience. The drivers/guides are very knowledgeable and experienced with the game reserves flora and fauna. The accommodations were comfortable and our individual needs were looked into with great care. My kids are still talking about our guide after coming home. Right from the moment of receiving at the Airport till the send off, I felt Baboon Budget Safari took it upon them to ensure that me and my family (with us travelling with young kids) had the most memorable vacation.

Nancy   –
Hong Kong HK
Visited: August 2019 Reviewed: Sep 4, 2019

Email Nancy  |  50-65 years of age  |  Experience level: first safari

A wonderful and memorable trip

It was a wonderful and memorable trip. Mr Dennis the director of Baboon Budget Safaris Ltd has been very helpful and flexible in arranging the private tour for us. Our drivers in both Kenya and Tanzania was very knowledgable who brought us to see a lot of animals. All in all, the tour is excellent

Laetitia & Jeremy   –
France FR
Visited: December 2020 Reviewed: Jan 1, 2021

Email Laetitia & Jeremy  |  20-35 years of age  |  Experience level: first safari

Great Safari December 2020

If you are looking to organize a safari, don't hesitate and choose Baboon Budget. You will be very happy of your trip.
Dennis, the manager, answers to your emails very quickly every days, it's very confortable.
The safari 6 days/5nights - Lake nakuru/Masai Mara/ Amboseli, is amazing. You will see the Big Five and so many animals. If you want the best guide, you have to ask: Anthony!!! Enjoy. It was an unforgettable trip.

Gee Gee   –
India IN
Visited: August 2015 Reviewed: Sep 2, 2015

Email Gee Gee  |  20-35 years of age  |  Experience level: first safari

Awesome experience ......Value for money....good service .....friendly....

Highly recommended our operator ..... Value for money....very good service .....very friendly

Paul (Holland)   –
Netherlands NL
Visited: October 2015 Reviewed: Nov 9, 2015

Email Paul (Holland)  |  20-35 years of age  |  Experience level: first safari

Great budget safari company with very helpful staff

We stayed in Kenya and Tanzania last October and we have had an amazing safari experience with Baboon. Though we first planned to visit some tour operators in Nairobi recommended by the Lonely Planet, we soon found out they were a bit too expensive for our budget. Then we asked the hotel where we stayed to contact a safari company they would recommend and they came up with Baboon Safaris. One of their staff, Michael, a great guy, came to visit us, sat down with us and explained us all the options on the table.

Our price included transport, accommodation, food & water, game drives of course, and driver guides. We stayed in a tented camp, a cottage, and at decent hotels in both Kenya and Tanzania. On our last day in Kenya we wanted to change our trip somewhat and this was easily arranged for. The people at Baboon would not stop saying how much they wanted us to enjoy this once in a lifetime experience and they repeated again and again how much they appreciated the fact that we had chosen them to deliver it. This really gave us the feeling we were cared for from start to finish.

In the end we only suffered one inconvenience in Tanzania. Since we flew back from Nairobi, the manager took some time to pay us a visit at our hotel to discuss what had went wrong. We were offered our money back or they would arrange an activity for us on our last day. We chose the latter and we were very happy with it! This again shows their commitment to treat us as their guests. We were very satisfied with how they handled this situation.

In short, budget travellers should definitely go for Baboon! You won't regret it!

Daniel Barrdahl   –
Sweden SE
Visited: September 2015 Reviewed: Nov 19, 2015

Email Daniel Barrdahl  |  20-35 years of age  |  Experience level: first safari

Good prices for a good service

I came down to Nairobi and wanted to go to Kilimanjaro and Baboon Budget Safaris took care of everything and I could go the next day which is good when you have limited with time.
They provided we with everything I needed, transport from Nairobi to Arusha, hotel, equipment for the trip, transport to Kilimanjaro, trekking guides etc. I had a really good time there and there organisation was good and standard as well. I was meeting other people on the mountain and they had payed more for exactly the same thing so I was satisfied with what I payed.
The last day I was altitude sick on the mountain so I needed to go down one day earlier and even that was taken care of. So I only have good experiences from my trip and I also recommended them to my friends who made a safari with them and they had the same experience.

Debargha Mukherjee   –
Visited: July 2016 Reviewed: Sep 3, 2016

Email Debargha Mukherjee  |  35-50 years of age  |  Experience level: first safari

Awesome experience in Kenya at a great value

We were one of 6 families (12 adults, 11 kids) that traveled to Kenya and Tanzania in a group from the US. We got the contact of Dennis from Baboon Budget Safaris initially through a professor in University of Nairobi that one person in our group befriended through her participation in the TechWomen program. Baboon Budget is a smaller local safari outfit in Kenya. But the reason we eventually took the chance with Baboon Budget was the excellent price Dennis offered us for all the places we wanted to visit in 12 days along with his responsiveness (Whatsapp) and his eagerness to help all through the negotiation and planning stage. One of the kids in our group has a congenital medical condition, and had we not felt safe, we would not have chosen Baboon Budget safaris.

On the trip, we had about 6 days in Kenya to cover Masai Mara, Amboseli and Lake Nakuru. Dennis and his crew did an excellent job taking care of us during those days. The drivers were always courteous and responsive during the safaris, and maintained good timing on long drives. In Masai Mara we stayed in Miti-Mingi Eco Camp that Dennis co-owns. The facilities there were more budget oriented than other lodges, but we were taken care of very well. The other lodges we stayed in on the Kenya part were L. Nakuru Lodge and Amboseli Sopa Lodge.

At the end of 6 days in Kenya we were handed over to another tour group (Sand Land Tours) that operate on the Tanzania side that Dennis had sub-contracted with. Honestly here the arrangements were less than ideal. There were some sudden itinerary changes that we were not notified of until the last minute. Also the drivers were less than ideal. We visited Manyara, Ngorongoro Crater and Serengeti in Tanzania, and stayed in Manyara Serena, Ngorongoro Serena and Asanja Africa camp in Seregenti during those 6 days. We did get to see a lot of animals during these 6 days, so overall it was still a great experience.

When we returned to Nairobi, Dennis again courteously took good care of us dropping us off at different hotels and airports.

In the end all of us had a memorable 12-day safari experience. In summary, thanks to Dennis and his crew for making our safari experience special. The Tanzania side sub-contract was not managed well, and we gave Dennis feedback to that effect at the end of the trip. But the Kenya side was excellent. Dennis admitted that he needed to improve his network outside Kenya as he grows his business. But if you are traveling to Kenya - Baboon Budget Safaris is an excellent choice.

4.9/5

Disclaimer

• All corporate and/or tour info is provided by Baboon Budget Safaris , not SafariBookings