User Reviews – South Africa

Firstly, the game parks in South Africa are extremely well organised compared to the rest of the world. You actually know that the animals are being well protected and the people that work on safari have so much knowledge of the animals and the area, it's mind blowing!

But probably the best thing about South Africa as a safari destantion is watching the beautiful African sun set over a waterhole filled with hippos. Not many places can compare!

South Africa is a wonderful location for going on safari. The wildlife is incredible, and there are a huge number of endemic plants and animals in the country. The climate is also quite nice.

Perfect for a first safari. All of the wildlife I was hoping to see, and more, with accessible and luxurious accommodations.

South Africa is the premiere safari destination. The main reason is the density of the wildlife and the best safari lodges on the planet. I have been to 4+ lodges and the attention to detail, amazing service and knowledgeable staff stand out compared to Botswana or even Tanzania. I loved both but South Africa has this down to perfection.

The other main advantage are the large private reserves such as Timbivati and Sabi Sands. Limited to 2 vehicles per sighting, night game drives, going off-road and the ability to do bush walks set these destinations apart.

In just one day I saw the complete list of big game apart from cheetah and leopard.
Giraffe were a bit thin on the ground and didn't get a close up view of them either.

South Africa was more beautiful than I ever imagined. I never thought I would see all the animals I did and even better get as close as I did with our skilled Sabi Sabi guides. We were within feet of every animal we came in contact with.

South Africa has a huge diversity of landscapes within the same country, so it's possible to come here and have several very different experiences and see radically different things just by travelling a couple of hours in any given direction. The weather is fantastic for most of the year.

Just explore different parks and you will see different things. Animals, landscapes and sometimes that real wild feeling.

It simply doesn't get much better than this!

My rating is based on Lion Sands, having not been to other destinations in South Africa.