User Reviews – South Africa

Sort By: Date Most Helpful 1-10 of 80 Reviews
SOUTH AFRICA

Recently went to South Africa for a week.

Apart from the bad roads, worn down farms/buildings next to the road, rubbish everywhere, just like in Namibia, in some towns, and the fact that we were almost hijacked in Kimberly, I was pleasantly surprised!

We got great and friendly service from everyone right from the start, good food and drinks, exept from one place, best/affordable accommodation, clean malls, clean bathrooms, the weather was perfect and from the animals that we could see was a nice experience!

We visited a total of plus minus 6 towns. Every town is different. Every landscape is different.

Very cool

Good people, good food, good safari. It was great days.

Compare Kruger Park with Sabi Sand (Private game reserve) I would only go private in future.

The game reserves were excellent and showcase Africa's unique wildlife. Spent 2 days in Kruger and 2 days in Sabi Sand. There was more game in Kruger but a greater variety in Sabi Sand. I would only go to a private game reserve in future. Accommodation and food were far better in the private reserve as well. Weather was mixed - cold at first but much hotter later. We also visited Johannesburg and O.R. Tambo airport has to be the worst international airport in the world. There are no signs anywhere to assist you in checking in and we had to go to the domestic terminal to check in for an international flight to Zimbabwe. Compare this with King Shaka in Durban where for every flight, the check-in desk is shown on a very large information board. We also visited Cape Town. Trying to go up Table Mountain as individuals is almost impossible. There was a queue which took 3 hours to get onto the cable car and another queue that took another 3 hours just to buy a ticket. We gave up eventually. Same issue with trying to go to Robben Island. Unless you are prepared to pay an exorbitant amount for a private tour, you can't get on a boat. Again, we had to give up. The V&A Waterfront is well advertised but in the end is only a shopping centre with some restaurants - quite disappointing. For an Australian, the prices in South Africa seem very cheap and it's a good place to go for a holiday once. Not enough different things to do to keep returning though but I would recommend it to anyone who has never been.

Where the Wild Things Still Are

My wife and I had an excellent safari experience, with knowledgable guides, nice accomodations, and good food. We will never forget the experience of being in the bush and seeing all the creatures we have dreamed of. Sadly, we fear that wildlife is in danger of disappearing and hope that all steps will be taken to preserve it.

A cultural meltingpot of the world's history in an amazingly eclectic country.

My time in South Africa was spent in Johannesburg and Cape Town. Johannesburg is a big city with lots of neat markets and was a perfect starting point for the trips I've done in southern Africa.
Cape Town is amazing! The culture and history are overflowing in every part of the city. There is just so much iconic history in Cape Town that I would recommend taking one of the city tour buses - it was a great way to take it all in and learn a lot. The preservation of old buildings and the demolished areas of District 6 portray a city comfortable with its past and interest in educating the masses.
Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden, nestled amongst the mountains represent a stunning collection of botanical knowledge. The gardens have rolling green lawns with Fynbos, proteas, and cycads everywhere. Proteas have the most amazing flowers and I would recommend going at time when the majority are in bloom - well worth the wait to see their brilliance.
Table Mountain is a must. It is an iconic natural feature and provides stunning views of the city.
From night clubs and posh bars to amazing food and incredible scenery. Cape Town has been the highlight of my trips to South Africa and I highly recommend it for everyone.

South-Africa, a short visit

I had a great time in South-Africa. Impressed about the accuracy of both SafariBookings and Viva Safaris. The accomodation was fine, food was good, people very nice and helpful. The only thing about my accomodation was that, because I was single and had probably the ensuite of a family-room, there was no tea/coffee arrangements and no bottles of water in the room. And I dearly missed a chair, hooks to hang some cloth. The chair I asked for and was supplied immediately.
The fact that it was very cold in the morning and not always blankets in the cars made the travelling on and forth sometimes unpleasant, but allover I had a pleasant stay!

Spectacular views with amazing people

It was fantastic, a storm happened and we lost power for remainder 2 days but we made the best of it.

We were surprized over the courteous, friendly and prfessional help for and after the safary game dr

We were saisfied over the courteous, friendly and prfessional help for and after the safary game drive. Accomodations, food, transportations,
guides, weather, and scenery were very good. Wildlife was not to our full satisfactory, but then this was not a national park! But for beginners
it was it was allright. We enjoid our beginners wildlife safary and can recommend further. Thank you for the good time.

Cheers, Wilfried and friends

Great tour guides that made this an unforgettable experience!

We had a great experience with the guides and were very lucky during our visit. We saw all of the Big 5 and everything on our list. The scenery was beautiful and the evening drives were always our favorites with the gorgeous sunset. Overall would recommend Viva Safaris but recommend looking at Trip Advisor for details on the lodging.

Well organized

Highly recommended. Perfect organization, many private games and visit to the Kruger park. Plus we met many nice people along the way :)