Flapneck chameleon (Chamaeleo dilepis)
How much weirdness can you handle in one animal? Chameleons, including the flapneck chameleon, have it all: skin that changes color, swiveling eyes, an extendable tongue and the head of a dinosaur. No wonder these perfectly harmless lizards excite fear and superstition across rural Africa! This particular species, the flapneck chameleon, is one of the most common of the species. The animal lovers at SafariBookings are quite fond of exotic wildlife. Let us share some interesting facts with you.
5 Fascinating Facts About the Flapneck Chameleon:
- Chameleons’ conical eyes have fused eyelids, leaving just a pinhole through which to see. They revolve independently, allowing the chameleon a 360º arc of vision. The eyes possess stereoscopic depth perception for an accurate strike.
- Nearly half of the 160+ species of chameleon are native to Madagsacar. Most of the rest are found on mainland Africa.
- A flapneck chameleon can shoot its tongue out as far as the length of its own body. It does this at a speed of around three hundredths of a second.
- A chameleon changes color by using layers of specialized cells, called chromatophores, which lie beneath its transparent skin. These comprise a mixture of pigmented, light-reflecting and melanin cells. The reptile can manipulate these cells like the paint on an artist’s palette.
- The word chameleon is the Latinized form of the Ancient Greek khamaileon. The word derives from khamai (on the ground) and leon (lion) and translates loosely as ‘ground lion’. This refers to the reptile’s intimidating defensive display, in which it gapes, hisses and lunges.
Dare to explore the African continent!
Do creatures like the Flapneck Chameleon intrigue you? Than let us help you find the perfect trip to see these unique critters, and the stunning beauty of Africa,... up close. Contact us here and discover the beauty and majesty of African wildlife. Come visit the continent that has it all!
African Safari Tours
5-Day Tanzania Luxury Safari Tour
$4,235 pp (USD)
Tanzania: Private tourLuxuryLodge & Tented Camp
You Visit: Arusha (Start), Tarangire NP, Lake Manyara NP, Ngorongoro Crater, Serengeti NP, Arusha (End)
5.0/5 – 74 Reviews
4-Day Nakuru & Masai Mara Big Five Safari
$865 to $1,005 pp (USD)
Kenya: Private tour
You Visit: Nairobi (Start), Lake Nakuru NP, Masai Mara NR, Nairobi (End)
Bateleur Eagle Safaris
5.0/5 – 64 Reviews
4-Day Tarangire, Serengeti & Ngorongoro (Tented) Lodge
$1,585 pp (USD)
Tanzania: Private tour
Mid-rangeLodge & Tented Camp
You Visit: Arusha (Start), Tarangire NP, Serengeti NP, Central Serengeti, Ngorongoro Crater, Arusha (End)
Shemeji Safari Tanzania
4.7/5 – 224 Reviews