​User Reviews – Tanzania

Tamas   –
Hungary HU
Visited: February 2018 Reviewed: Mar 19, 2018

Email Tamas

Two days out in the African wilderness

I spent a weekend in Mikumi National Park. The trip there is very long, only a few hundred kilometres but takes 6-7 hours, so expect a lot of traffic. The scene is exotic with the high, yet completely green mountains. The park itself is very quiet (at least in February), not many tourists, so you can feel the wilderness close around you. Weather is quite unpredictable, sometimes it rains, sometimes the sun is burning you body. The wildlife was very abundant, everything could be seen except for the rhinos and carnivores. We did see some resting lions though, but usually they are hard to spot. Accommodation was amazing (Camp Bastien), way above my expectations. The guides on the other hand don't speak very much English, so it was hard to gather information from them.
To sum up, I can recommend a visit to this park, but considering the long commute, it would be better to combine this safari with another national park, for example Udzungwa Mountains.

Rudiger Schultz   –
Finland FI
Visited: January 2018 Reviewed: Feb 7, 2018

Email Rudiger Schultz  |  50-65 years of age  |  Experience level: over 5 safaris

A lot of nerves needed

This is merely a Review about Gombe Track & Safari, The Mahale Nationalpark, their guiding and accommodation as well as the Coast View Resort Hotel in Kigoma.
I was picked up in Dar from my hotel early in the morning and in time and brought to the airport. My flight with Tanzania Air was also very good and smooth. I arrived on the schedule in Kigoma where a car from the Gombe Track and Safari was waiting for. In addition to a driver, a cook was provided, who served me in Mahale very well. The car was in a bad shape and not suitable for the rough road of 107 km which I mentioned already on our way to the park. But we made it. After an exhausting trip, lasting 6 hours we reached the village from where a boat trip was organized. This speedboat hacked me through the waves so that my back was badly aching for hours after my arrival. However the most pleasant moments I had in Mahale although my driver from the Gombe Safari company had sent the boat to pick me up again for my return one day to early. We however got that settled well and I could stay as it was planned for 4 days enjoying the jungle and the Chimps I had paid for.
The boat came on the 23rd of January to pick me up again. It was late because of the rough waves on lake Tanganyika. The driver had been sleeping in his car overnight because he came one day too early. It was exactly the same car as on the trip to Mahale. This time happened what I had been expecting during our first trip. The car broke because of electrical problems after 35 km in the middle of nowhere on a hot and dusty road in the wilderness. Some Daladala busses dropped by until it got dark. I urged the driver several times to get into contact with Joshua, the manager of the company, several times. Joshua came to pick us up at 9 pm when it was already dark and brought us to Kigoma, where we arrived at 00:30, totally exhausted, dirty and sweaty at the booked hotel (Kigoma Coast View Resort) which has a 4 Star reputation. The receptionist, a girl had already fell asleep but opened us the door and has let me in into my room. Dirty as I was I wanted to get a cold shower but noticed, that there was no water in the hotel. The shower could not be used, the toilet not be flushed until the next morning from 7:45 am to 8:20 am, when the hotel manager allowed to put on the pump, which delivered the water into the rooms. So I had to sleep dirty and sweaty as I was in my sheets, getting no sleep at all. After taking my shower in the morning I waited to be picked up by Joshua and demanded to see the idiot of manager of that hotel and made clear that this kind of treatment of guest is not only unacceptable but a crime to the paying customer. He apologized but didn't give my money back which would have been the only acceptable way to proceed. I have been regularly in Tanzania for 7 years as a voluntary pediatrician and seen a lot of inconvenience but never have been in a situation like this. This hotel should be put onto a black list for avoiding damage to other customers. Also Gombe Safaris should have offered a compensation for all the problems with the car and for booking this hotel. I was offered a lunch on the day I left. I am sorry to say that but I have the impression after many years being in Afrika that companies which are running under local, african personnel and not able to offer proper level of service and endanger their customers. The next time I am taking a Safari I will make sure who is running the company. This should be a warning to every tourist coming from Europe or the States or Australia to pick their services carefully, avoiding local companies.

Chiara   –
Italy IT
Visited: January 2018 Reviewed: Jan 30, 2018

Email Chiara  |  35-50 years of age  |  Experience level: first safari

It was my first, in Saadani N.P.: for sure I will organize better next time!

For my friend and I it was the first safari: we were in Zanzibar, so we decided to visit Saadani National Park(closer and smaller), even if we knew that it was not the best and most "populated" African park. Unfortunately the agency we chose was not clear about the duration of the journey from Dar Es Salaam port to the park. We had several issues with our car until we got stuck into the mud: I know people may say it is part of the adventure... however, it is not funny when you have less than 2 days.... In the end we did not make the boat safari to see crocodiles and hippos because in the morning the tide was not at the correct level...I am wondering why we did not make it in the previous afternoon then! For sure, it was very exciting for 2 Europeans to spot giraffes, monkeys and above all a big lonely elephant. We were expecting something more, especially a real guide, not only a silent driver who seems to be annoyed by us... accommodation was ok, but for a possibile future safari, I would not take selousrufijihippoadventure.com into consideration. Anyway, I think that this was just a start and that we have learnt something for next safari.

Anja   –
Germany DE
Visited: July 2015 Reviewed: Sep 27, 2015

Email Anja  |  35-50 years of age  |  Experience level: 2-5 safaris

Too expensive and infrastructure can make National Parks difficult to reach. I have been on safari in South Africa and Namibia, which altogether has a more "Western" feel, but also is less expensive, easier to reach by normal car.

Kim B.   –
Visited: June 2014 Reviewed: Apr 16, 2015

Experience level: first safari

Tanzania was beautiful! The people were very friendly. The lodges we stayed at were amazing! We camped 2 nights and stayed at nice lodges the other nights. All were great experiences! We visited the Messiah tribe. Loved Tanzania! We felt safe the whole time we were there.

Trym Visited: November 2011 Reviewed: May 7, 2012

The are parks of similar size and similar wildlife in other African countries that matches Mikumi.

Krzysztof Poręba   –
Poland PL
Visited: January 2020 Reviewed: Feb 23, 2020

Email Krzysztof Poręba  |  50-65 years of age  |  Experience level: 2-5 safaris

Park Selous is beautiful only agency and terrible guide

The Selous Park is beautiful. And so many of our dibrtch memories from Tanzania. Afebxha was waiting for us by changing the number of employees in the contract. It was only after our intervention that she confessed to guilty and we received a compensation. The guide himself gave me that this job did not suit him and we were so tired with each other these few days.

Arja   –
Finland FI
Visited: January 2019 Reviewed: Jan 13, 2019

Email Arja  |  65+ years of age  |  Experience level: first safari

Very good and more than I expcted.

Very, very expencive accomodations combared to the accomodation level. Good quidening, pure roads everywhere in Tanzania.

Marzia   –
Italy IT
Visited: October 2018 Reviewed: Nov 30, 2018

Email Marzia  |  20-35 years of age  |  Experience level: first safari

the land of tips

The wildlife was the best we have had from this country. Italy is knew in the world for sly people but tanzanian were worst than us. I've never knew something similar. The land of tips, the land of "surprises". I am really sad because i think that this will kill the tourism there. Last but not least, you make fool prices for all about tourism. In the rest of the world we are not so riches as you think. For the most of us, the 50$ that you ask like chips are a day of work!!!!!!
P.s. the weather was good, the foid was good, the accomodation not so bad, but when i think about my trip, FOR YOUR FAULT, i think about you CRAFTINESS for first.

Janine   –
Switzerland CH
Visited: August 2017 Reviewed: Oct 25, 2017

Email Janine  |  35-50 years of age  |  Experience level: 2-5 safaris

Beautyful senic and an impressiv wildlife. Kilimanjaro is a memorable experience. I am very exited.

The wildlife was really exiting. I saw many animals in the nature. I also climbed the Kilimanjaro. This was one of my best experiences I ever did so far. It is really impressive and also a real test for your body and mental skill. I really suggest to you to do this.
On the other hand I realised that you as a Tourist are just enough to pay a lot of money for a safari and not to get really the value for this. I booked with openafricasafari.com and the Price was much to much for this i got. In the same group were 6 other people who paid around 600 dollars for a 3 days safari. (I was booked on a group with maximum of 6 people and I was the 7th person!). The first 2 days was great. The second was so so. But my last day was worthless. A nature walk on the road. Walking straigt to a lake and than the same way back. How boring. Really not an experience. They sold me a nature walk!!!! They promised me to visit a School an a Hospital. We did not. I got some explanation about how bananas grow and so on. But a normal Person knows this already. The guide came to late in morning and was very surprised that I could walk for 3 hours and I did not call for a taxi, which, of course I would have to pay for it. (all the stupid Tourist are just rich and pay all the time!) Furthermore I had to tell the guide what we gonna visit. Otherwise we would have been back to the Hotel very early. I really paid around 200 dollars to much for this trip. I would not book whith this agency again.
The 3. day. The other 6 persons booked only 3 days. So the guide wanted to leave the game park at mid day. But I booked a full day in this game reserve. Even the others ha in there itinery that they would stay until 3 o'clock. Finally the guide turned around an we continued the game drive. But the day was not good anymore.

It is a shame to treat Tourist like this. Tansania is just a nice country and I met so many good guides on my 2 month journey trough south africa.
I was travelling for 8 weeks with other different tour guides (south africa, Namibia, Botswana and Tansania)and it always was a very good experience. Only the safari with openafricasafari fucked up. I asked for same money back, but,,,,,