User Reviews – Uganda

I liked the things we saw in Uganda, but Tanzania was better.

The jewel of East Africa, a MUST-SEE travel destination!

We spent the first 3 days of our trip in Kampala with side trips to Jinja, Entebbe and Ngamba Island. On day 4 we were picked up by a private tour guide. He would be with us for the remaining 5 days of our trip which included Gorilla trekking in Bwindi, Queen Elizabeth NP and other sights along the way. Our guide spoke decent English, was very affordable and his knowledge of the local flora & fauna, wildlife and history made him an invaluable part of our Ugandan experience. We asked him to show us the ‘real’ Uganda and he delivered! He took us to visit with local families, we watched a group of local men make alcohol from fermented bananas and stopped by a wedding in progress where we were greeted by friendly locals and invited to join the party.
The weather was perfect, cool in the mornings and evenings and warm throughout the day (never hot). The Ugandan country side is simply stunning….green patchwork covers the mountainous terrain and the people are some of the friendliest I have ever encountered. We also had incredible food throughout our journey including a delicious tilapia dinner on the shore of Lake Victoria (for the low price of $1.30).
The gorilla trekking was the highlight of our week but we also did a boat tour of the Kazinga channel which was wonderful!
I've travelled all over the world and I can honestly say that Uganda was my absolute favorite destination. The friendly people, incredible scenery, affordability and abundant wildlife make Uganda a “must-see”!!

Stunningly divers, incredibly beautifull, accessible to travel and very friendly people!

Unfortunately we (a friend and I) did not get to do a safari sensu strictu (with the land cruisers, zebra's, giraffes, etc) but of what I heard there are plenty possibilities available. What we did was a more adventure / hiking / chilling vacation, in which we rafted the white Nile, visited the beautiful Sipi falls, chilled on the shore of Lake Bunyonyi and climbed the Mganhinga voulcano (or is is Magahinga?!).
Uganda is easy to travel, not only due to the high concentration of attractions over a relatively small country, but also by the friendliness of the people. Infra structure is all a bit less polished than Kenia / Tanzania, which means you might have to organize a bit more by yourself and all may go a bit less smooth. From my point of view that's part of the safari experience (aka Bush Vibe).

I liked the things we saw in Uganda, but Tanzania was better.

The parks are very nice (I especially liked Kidepo Valley) and you´ll never see a crowd!

Lots to see, expecially if this is your first safari experience!

A relatively small country with an endless variety of landscapes and wildlife.

The wildlife was like nothing I've seen before in my life. Giraffes, lions, monkeys, wildebeest...just about everything you usually picture about Africa, except real and in close proximity. At one point, we even had an elephant blocking the road! That's just something you can't experience in the states. The weather in June was surprisingly mild with highs in the 80s. Scenery was fantastic. I couldn't believe the vast array of landscapes, from vast plains to craggy mountain ridges. Food was starchy and filling. Not the best food ever, but something you could handle for a few weeks. Overall, though, an incredible experience with wonderful people.

The parks were more affordable than other countries. The country is small so it is easy to travel from Kampala, the capital, to the parks. The wildlife is diverse and the birding is fantastic. Best of all the Ugandan people are friendly and accomodating.

Uganda - the undiscovered beauty

We operate together with the inhabitants of a small village north of Mityana a humanitarian project in Uganda to improve their lives sustainably. In 2009, we have for the first time together with our children (teenagers) Uganda. An absolutely worth experiencing country. In Kampala, as in many cities of other developing countries to feel optimism. In the country however, the time has stopped and the people live largely in poverty and subsistence agriculture. It is striking that all the automotive business of Indians and Pakistanis can be controlled. The chinese start the exploitation of large oil deposits seen in the northwest. therefore, the roads built in the resource-rich regions very well. European hotels are found only in large cities. But who can get along without electricity and warm water does not necessarily need to take a shower, can also opt for an African hotel.

As it's a small park the number of different animals is limited but that makes one focus on more than just the big five.

• 4.7/5