​User Reviews – Kenya

Chandan Gurukar   –
India IN
Visited: October 2019 Reviewed: Oct 6, 2019

Email Chandan Gurukar  |  50-65 years of age  |  Experience level: 2-5 safaris

Fabulous is what I can say, Maasai Mara is.

One of the best countries for wildlife viewing. The sheer expanse of Maasai Mara is breathtaking. The number of animals is simply mind numbing

Moly   –
Canada CA
Visited: October 2019 Reviewed: Oct 2, 2019

Email Moly  |  50-65 years of age  |  Experience level: first safari

Fantastic experience. wildlife. food and scenery

We really enjoyed and the experience we cannot express in words. Watching the wild animals in their natural habitat was an experience. Weather was nice, food was great, all the accommodations exceeded our expectations especially Tsavo west. The water hole behind our lodge,in Kiluguani lodge, was busy whole night and we did not feel like to go to bed. In Masai Mara, Osero Camp, was inside the park and during night we could hear the killing and the struggle and the fights. Our tour guide Paul, Tukio safaris, was awesome. He took all the troubles to show us all "big five". we were very fortunate to see all only because of Paul. Only regrets is we couldn't see the river crossing.

Torsten   –
Sweden SE
Visited: July 2019 Reviewed: Sep 2, 2019

Email Torsten  |  20-35 years of age  |  Experience level: first safari

Incredible wildlife and amazing life-time experience!

Fantastic wildlife! We got to see all of the "big five" except the rhino. Very skilled and professional guide. The accommodation was very cozy: a tent close to the national park. Out in the wilderness, yet with electricity (via generator) and proper bathroom and shower. Surprisingly good food. An experience for a lifetime!

Andre Breton   –
Mexico MX
Visited: March 2019 Reviewed: Apr 2, 2019

Email Andre Breton  |  35-50 years of age  |  Experience level: first safari

Westernized Africa

You can't beat the wildlife and scenery of a safari, that's for sure and it's worth every buck. However, it did feel heavily commercialized and not very authentic in terms of the people and the vibe. It's the first safari I ever take and my views could be exclusive to Kenya, Amboseli NP or the company I chose (which was very good by the way), but to me it felt artificial in a Disney-like manner. Please don't get me wrong: I stayed perhaps in the best hotels I've ever stayed and got some of the best customer service; the guide and all the staff were always trying to please us and make us happy. Maybe this was the problem ... it felt like Cancun, Miami or anything else but Africa, a standardized and westernized vision and feel of tourism. If what you are looking for is to get to know Africa's epic wildlife with international comfort then a safari is your best choice, but if you want to discover a new culture, then make a change of plans or balance your trip with something else. We also went to Ethiopia and while the comfort standard was light years away from Kenya, the social-cultural component of that part of the trip was much more genuine and memorable. In terms of wildlife, orangutan trekking in Borneo or walking among gellada baboons in Ethiopia feel much more authentic, although not as impressive as what a safari reserve can offer. I think it's a matter of what your profile is and the expectations you have. Again, my only safari experience is in one reserve in Kenya and things could be very different in other places, I don't know but I doubt it. Personally I would take a safari again (tampering my expectations) if I was traveling to Africa on a longer trip. I would never plan a trip exclusively for a safari.

Ffyonna Scott   –
United Kingdom UK
Visited: October 2018 Reviewed: Dec 2, 2018

Email Ffyonna Scott  |  35-50 years of age  |  Experience level: 2-5 safaris

Trip of a Lifetime

We all absolutely loved our trip to Kenya in October! Our tour company, Wildlife Sun Safaris ere fantastic! From the moment the met us at Jomo Kenyatta Airport the we’re a joy to be with. We had drivers for a couple of days in Nairobi, visiting DSWT, Giraffe Centre and Karen Blixen Museum. Then our wonderful driver and safari guide, Japheth. Thanks to him, we saw 4/5 of the big 5 in Masai Mara, and more elephants than I could count in Amboseli, much to my absolute delight! We saw leopards (and a live kill), cheetahs and lions. I would go back to Kenya in a heartbeat and would ask James at Wildlife Sun Safaris to organise my trip before considering anyone else. James, Japheth, thank you so much for such a special trip, for looking after Penny and for helping us create such beautiful and everlasting memories.

Sharon   –
Australia AU
Visited: October 2018 Reviewed: Nov 27, 2018

Email Sharon  |  50-65 years of age  |  Experience level: first safari

All our expectations were met, and then some!

We booked a six-day safari with Features Africa Journeys, Nairobi. We chose the six-day safari (Amboseli - Nakuru - Maasai Mara) over the usual 4-day safaris because this one included Amboseli and we really wanted to see Mount Kilimanjaro. Who doesn't?! The tour was on the luxury scale (c. $1500 per person, all accommodation, meals and transport included) and it was worth every single cent.

Our guide, Anthony, had the most extraordinary knowledge about the wildlife and local culture; he knew every answer to every question. Not only that, he had the magic touch. Somehow, no matter what we asked for he found it; this included an end-of-season wildebeest crossing. A tall order, but he found a group of wildebeest along the river. It didn't look as though they were going to move but Anthony said, 'Wait 10 minutes'. We did ... and they did. Magical.

Although it would add to the cost, I think two nights at Nakuru would be a better experience. We arrived just before dinner and left very early the next morning, so we didn't get to experience the best that the camp had to offer. Maybe make an extra day an option for travellers booking this safari?

The accommodation in the three camps we stayed at was 5-star in the literal sense. To top it all, we opted for the hot air balloon ride over the Maasai Mara. An absolute 'must-do' if your budget allows it.

I would recommend this tour company and the 6-day safari without any hesitation. We also did the one-day tour to Lake Naivasha and Hells Gate. Again, our expectation were exceeded.

Our thanks to Anthony and Karanja of Features Africa Journeys. Top notch. I have a feeling we will see you again.

Lynne   –
United Kingdom UK
Visited: October 2018 Reviewed: Nov 22, 2018

Email Lynne  |  50-65 years of age  |  Experience level: 2-5 safaris

We visited Katanga forest, Lake Nakuru, Maasai Mara and Amboseli over 9 days

Kenya is a great place to visit on safari. We enjoyed everywhere we went - which was a self picked itinerary. In retrospect I think we should have visited fewer parks in the time available as we did have some long days driving. Our driver was excellent at finding game for us - and was always keen to find as much as possible for us to see!
Food and accommodation everywhere was very good.

Patrick C   –
Ireland IE
Visited: October 2018 Reviewed: Oct 14, 2018

Email Patrick C  |  35-50 years of age  |  Experience level: 2-5 safaris

Overpriced Destination

Safari was great. Guide was knowledgeable. Balloon was a rip off. Way overpriced at a ridiculous 400 USD/per person for an hour flight. Then poor quality photos were an optional extra 40 USD. Kenya would be great if they didn't automatically screw you and charge you double/triple on everything just because you're white or a westerner. Also there is a sense of entitlement among those providing services, like they deserve to screw tourists, or that you must tip as they feel owed!!

Dan   –
Visited: July 2018 Reviewed: Aug 12, 2018

Email Dan  |  35-50 years of age  |  Experience level: first safari

Kenan Travel and Tours was first class for our once in a lifetime African Safari!!!!

This was our first family trip to Kenya. Traveling from the USA we wanted to use a Kenyan company that was reliable of course it is hard to find a lot of information on companies but was able to research Kenan Travel and Tours and note that they were part of KATO. Still until you actually take the trip it seems like a "leap of faith." Well let me tell you for anyone considering going to Kenya-- Kenan Travel and Tours is the way to go!!
From the beginning Geophrey was extremely easy to get in contact with and responded to emails very quickly which was a great start. When we arrived in Kenya after a long flight Geophrey was there at the airport to greet us and get us to our hotel in Nairobi. We were a group of nine and Geophrey handled all details leading up to our arrival to Kenya. Our trip was customized to include the things we wanted to do unlike the USA travel companies that required so many days in certain areas this personal touch was something that allowed us to go to the places we wanted not the places that the "USA tour companies" required-- Kenan delivered on a first class private tour.

The following morning in Nairobi we met in the hotel lobby and our itinerary was reviewed and we were escorted to our six seater Land Cruisers. Since we were a group of 9 we had two four wheel Land Cruisers that had plenty of room with comfortable seating--two to a row with sliding windows and a roof that popped open. The drivers were first class with incredible knowledge of the parks. Our driver was James and he did an absolutely incredible job of driving through the many bumpy back roads and national parks of Kenya. Our trip was 12 days and we traveled to Samburu, Lake Bogoria, Lake Nakuru, Maasai Mara, and Amboseli. James was absolutely incredible as a tour guide---and for a point of reference we have travelled extensively across the USA, Canada, Europe, South America, and now Africa. He had extensive knowledge of the parks and animals-- he was an like an encyclopedia when came to the many various animals--- everyone knows the big animals but his knowledge extended even to the small wildlife I don't there was a bird that I asked about that he was not able to educate me on. Of course we saw all of the Big 5, but we saw so many of the other mammals and birds and James was able to get us in a position to take pictures of a lifetime. The places that we stayed were extremely nice the food was excellent and the staff was very enthusiastic. Of course you can customize your trip with Kenan to stay at different levels of hotels. We found the Sopa lodges to be very nice. Everyone has their own level they desire and would encourage all to read about hotels booked and where they are located in the parks but we enjoyed our stays at Sopa and then Kibo at Amboseli. I would encourage anyone who is considering going to Kenya that they use Kenan Travel and Tours you will not regret it!! They will give you that personalized experience and allow you to customize things that you want so that you can have the level of luxury that you desire. I would give a big thanks to Geophrey, Shem (who drove the other Land Cruiser for other family members and he to had an extensive knowledge of Kenya!!) and James. James for my family you created an absolutely incredible once in a lifetime African Safari. James we hope to see you again in the near future!!!!

Ronald Prentkiewicz   –
Visited: October 2017 Reviewed: Apr 8, 2018

Email Ronald Prentkiewicz  |  50-65 years of age  |  Experience level: 2-5 safaris

We enjoyed Kenya wildlife.

Loved seeing and learning about the wildlife. Since that was our purpose and goal for the trip, Kenya surpassed our expectations in that area. There was an abundance of wildlife at all the locations visited and we would not have skipped anything on our itinerary except for Lake Bogoria. Masai Mara, Ambroselli, and Lake Nakura were our favorites,
Most accommodations were adequate.
I did not think Kenya or its wildlife parks were tourist friendly. The lack of bathrooms was surprising.
Mixed review for tour company and guide. They kept changing our lodging and trying to give us lesser quality lodging. Guide knew a lot about wildlife but would only share what was specifically asked. I felt like I had to fight to get all that was included on the itinerary either to save money on park admission or make the job easier for the driver/guide. Driver had very good driving skills.
High pressure sales tactic used at rest stops which were not appreciated.